General Ledger Accountant (Financial Specialist 5)
Comptroller, Espie Austria
Full time (40 hours a week)
10/11 ($29.05 hourly)
March 8, 2019
March 22, 2019
This is a senior professional level accounting position responsible for monitoring accounting systems and financial activities, performing budget analysis and making recommendations. Incumbent is responsible for ensuring that the tribal accounting transactions are properly recorded in accordance with governmental Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and accurately reflected in the tribal government’s accounting records. Responsible for the integrity and accuracy of the general ledger accounts. The position manages insurance for the general liability and the assets of the tribal government and coordinates with General Services Administration (GSA) for vehicles for government use.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(Other duties may be assigned).
- Reviews accounting system and financial activities for the Tribe. Examines and analyzes financial data for trends and anomalies.
- Examines a variety of financial statements for accuracy on monthly basis, evaluation data and advising management.
- Distributes monthly financial statements to departments.
- Provides assistance to tribal departments for analysis of revenue and expense items for their respective programs.
- Assists financial staff in confirming accuracy and compliance of systems and activities.
- Coordinates, monitors, and verifies General Ledger (GL) Balance Sheet account balances.
- Reconciles 1% Distribution on a quarterly basis.
- Prepares journal entries to reflect banking and investment activity.
- Prepares journal entries to reflect payroll tax deposits.
- Prepares journal entries to affect payroll general ledger adjustments as needed.
- Calculates and prepares journal entries for indirect costs monthly.
- Prepares revenue journal entries for monthly revenue matching.
- Prepares journal entries for any miscellaneous activity as needed.
- Coordinates with GSA for GSA vehicles.
- Coordinates general liability and property insurance.
- Processes activity for health, dental and vision insurance and prepares check requests.
- Posts journal entries in Abila MIP Fund Accounting, the Tribe’s accounting software package.
- Assist with the preparation of other reports provided to management.
- Prepares fuel tax summaries.
- Assists with year-end audits.
- Other duties may be assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge in Governmental GAAP and Fund Accounting.
- Strong computer skills to include integrated accounting software. Proficient in Excel spreadsheet and Word.
- Diligent & self-motivated with attention to detail.
- Strong work ethics and team player.
- Ability to deal sensitively with confidential material.
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, prioritizing skills with attention to details and follow through to resolve any outstanding issues.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
A minimum of 20 semester or 30 quarters in college level accounting is required with either a Master’s Degree in business, finance, or accounting, and two years of professional accounting experience;
OR Bachelor’s Degree with major study in finance or accounting and four years of professional accounting experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Proof of at least 20 semesters of 30 quarter hours of accredited accounting. Must be bondable.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and talk or hear; the employee must also occasionally sit, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The applicant may occasionally be required to lift up to ten pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, (clear vision at 20 inches or less); and ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus) as with computer and monitor work.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
DRUG FREE WORKPLACE:
The successful candidate will be required to have a urinalysis for drug and alcohol screening in accordance with the Tribe’s Drug Free Workplace Policy.
Indian Preference will be exercised in the hiring of this position in accordance with the Tribe’s Personnel Policies.
Applications are available at squaxinisland.org. Application packets including a resume and cover letter are accepted at the Squaxin Island Tribal Center, contact Steven Dorland in Human Resources office; 10 SE Squaxin Lane Shelton, WA 98584 (360) 432-3865.