Patient Services Assistant/Trainee
Health Services Assistant Director, Nora Coxwell
December 7, 2018
December 21, 2018
The successful applicant will participate in an individual development plan (benchmarks) including on the job as well as Patient Services specific training. Completion of all the benchmarks as documented in the plan will prepare the incumbent being trained to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this position.
Provide medical office support and patient benefits facilitation. This position serves as a link between patients and healthcare benefits as well as medical office assistance. This individual will work to problem solve and provide customer service.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(Other duties may be assigned)
Guidelines will be provided to complete the following duties:
- Answer questions or concerns, communicating with appropriate Administrative and Health Services staff.
- Maintain Patient Registration data in RPMS system and patient charts.
- Provide education about available benefits and resources to the Tribal community
- Verify healthcare coverage for scheduled appointments and provide appropriate follow up.
- Provide guidance and education for patients regarding available alternate resources, helping them to understand the value and necessity of those resources in the tribal setting.
- Facilitate enrollment of all patients who qualify for alternate health coverage (Medicaid, Medicare, or other alternate resources.)
- Ensure follow up of patients enrolled in Healthcare benefits. Assist with appropriate documentation and medical records.
- Work with Health Services staff to coordinate specialist referrals and access to treatment services to patients when appropriate.
- When appropriate the Patient Services Assistant will ensure coordination of services for other programs to meet the needs of the patient.
- Provide support to the Medical Receptionist as needed.
- Maintain a good rapport with physicians, nurses and administrative staff.
- Document communication with patients for review with Office Manager.
- Comply with other appropriate established standards of practice in according to State law, IHS manuals and directives.
- Develop and implement an appropriate notification system for patient records and continuation of benefits.
- Ensure documentation is in medical records.
- Attend trainings, and meetings as directed.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all health information and records in accordance with HIPAA.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Patient Services Assistant: Applicant must have an Associate of Arts OR High School Diploma or GED and a minimum of 3 years related experience.
Patient Services Assistant Trainee:
Applicant must have a High School Diploma or GED and a minimum of 2 years of experience. Previous experience with Microsoft Office and multi-line phone systems is also preferred.
Preferred qualifications the applicant must demonstrate a desire to develop skills in the following areas:
Excellent customer service skills.
Ability to communicate complex and sensitive information to a diverse population.
Ability to problem solve and accurately assess when input is needed from others.
Good organizational skills, ability to synchronize resources to facilitate service delivery.
Clear understanding of policies and procedures.
Proficiency in Electronic Health Records System (RPMS.)
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of clients and other employees.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, use whole numbers, common fraction and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Must have a current Washington State Driver’s License and be insurable as per Tribal standards. Successfully pass a WATCH and Tribal Court background check. Current CPR/First Aid Certification required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
DRUG FREE WORKPLACE:
The successful candidate will be required to have a urinalysis for drug and alcohol screening in accordance with the Tribe’s Drug Free Workplace Policy.
Indian Preference will be exercised in the hiring of this position in accordance with the Tribe’s Personnel Policies.
Human Resources Department (360) 426-9781.