Health Information Technology Specialist
December 18, 2020
January 12, 2020
Reporting to the Director, this service oriented position performs network management and administration functions. This position is responsible for the management and organization of the Squaxin Island Health Clinic’s medical records and databases, and the maintenance and use of the computer systems used in daily operations of the clinic. The position will handle troubleshooting and use training, serving as a first point of contact for Clinic Staff having difficulties with their computers or with using the electronic medical records programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(Other duties may be assigned)
- Plan, define, design, develop, coordinate, and implement data communication systems
- Troubleshoot/problem solve; must be able to quickly and correctly diagnose/correct problem and communicate the solution to either co-workers or end-users effectively
- Maintain records and prepare periodic and special reports of work performed
- Server maintenance and troubleshooting, including software security patches, operating system updates, performance tuning, log analysis, maintaining application updates and bug fixes
- Develop technology plans and strategies including standards and capacity planning
- Validate new technologies proposed for use and meet with vendors to hold product demonstration
- Recommend solutions to difficult security problems in existing and developing systems.
- Maintain local area network hardware and software including servers, peripherals, network nodes, terminals and wiring.
- Evaluates local area network hardware ad software requirements and capabilities and makes recommendations.
- Coordinates third-party maintenance for network hardware, software and telecommunications services
- Ensure data integrity and regulatory compliance for medical records
- Assist with the computer applications coordinator that required reports to IHS and other stakeholders are collected and transmitted in a timely fashion
- Analyze collected information to ensure that it is correct and accurate
- Ensure compliance with confidentiality laws and regulations
- Manage and update data for clinical databases and registries
- Interact with DIS staff to communicate the clinic’s needs and ensure compliance with SIT requirements and compatibility with SIT systems where required
- Resolve assigned helpdesk tickets from clinic staff
- Other duties may be assigned
This position has no supervisory responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: :
MA and two years experience as a network administrator or related field; OR BA and four years experience as network administrator or related field; OR AA and six years as network administrator or related field; OR High School Diploma/GED and eight years experience as network administrator or related field. Experience in a medical/clinic setting will be prioritized over comparable environments.
Must have knowledge of and be proficient in operating systems and applications, with knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server 2008, 2012, and 2016; and be willing to learn about the Indian Health Services RPMS and its specific methods of network communication. Knowledge of SQL a plus. Knowledge of Office 365 a plus.
Must have strong demonstrated grasp of network security, appliances, infrastructure and concepts.
Must have knowledge of (system/network) troubleshooting and problem solving, must be able to quickly and correctly diagnose problems and know how best to fix it and communicate the solution to either co-workers or end-users effectively.
The successful applicant must be able to communicate effectively; work effectively independently or cooperatively; maintain confidentiality; be self-directed, approachable, and self-motivated to complete all tasks responsibly.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of algebra and geometry.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Valid Washington State Driver’s License; proof of insurance. MSCE certification a plus. CISSP, CCNA, or CCNP certification a plus. CompTIA+ certification a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; taste or smell. There are no special vision requirements
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will occasionally work near moving mechanical parts, in outdoor weather conditions, run the risk of electrical shock and radiation. The noise level for this position is generally moderate.
DRUG FREE WORKPLACE:
The successful candidate will be required to have a urinalysis for drug and alcohol screening in accordance with the Tribe’s Drug Free Workplace Policy.
Indian Preference will be exercised in the hiring of this position in accordance with the Tribe’s Personnel Policies.