Housing Maintenance Technician
Part-time (30 hours a week)
February 7, 2020
February 21, 2020
This position performs a wide variety of repairs on tribal housing units on the Squaxin Island Reservation and performs periodic annual inspections. This employee also conducts training on basic home maintenance for renters and home buyers. Assists in the development of scope of work and then monitors outside contractors performing repairs in the housing units.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
Completes work assigned via Tribal and Housing Job Orders system on housing units. This may include, but is not limited to the following:
- Plumbing: repair or replace leaking toilets, faucets and pipes; clear plugged drain lines; and solder plumbing joints.
- Carpentry: repair broken doors, cabinet hinges and drawers, drywall, and window screens; replace door handles, weather stripping and gutters; paint exterior and interior walls; caulk seams and cracks; build ramps, decks, and porches; and install windows and insulation.
- Electrical: troubleshoot and repair common electrical problems.
- Conducts and documents housing inspections following NAHASDA and Tribal Housing Policies. Inspections require entering crawl spaces, attics and climbing onto roofs.
- Conducts group workshops and individual instruction on home maintenance.
- Assists in the development of scopes of work for outside contractors and monitors work in progress.
- Keeps (daily) records of expenses and work performed.
- Works an occasional evening and/or weekend.
- Other duties may be assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate experience with and/or ability to:
- Ensure and maintain strict confidentiality with regards to all aspects of job duties including knowledge from associated programs in the department.
- Prioritize and plan work activities and meet challenges with resourcefulness.
- Be dependable, follow through with commitments, and be consistently at work and on time.
- Maintain a positive attitude toward co-workers and the public while treating them with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
- Contribute to building a positive team spirit and function as an equal member of the DCD/Planning team by putting the success of the team above own interest.
- Provide suggestions and constructive feedback when appropriate.
- Perform basic electrical circuits and plumbing techniques.
- Perform general carpentry, woodworking techniques and has working knowledge with a variety of power tools.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES include the following:
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Ability to work independently.
- Must have basic knowledge of plumbing, electrical repair, carpentry, and general maintenance and repair of homes.
- Ability to communicate and work cooperatively with tenants, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Ability to do basic research via the internet and other reference sources.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Associate of Arts Degree and 3 years related work experience; OR High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 5 years of related work experience OR 7 years of related experience.
Must complete a Housing Inspection course within six months of hire.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization. Ability to write articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Must have a valid Washington State Drivers License and be insurable by the Tribe’s insurance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk or hear, and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift up to 50 pounds and move more than 100 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and, extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
DRUG FREE WORKPLACE:
The successful candidate will be required to have a urinalysis for drug and alcohol screening, in accordance with the Tribe’s Drug Free Workplace Policy.
Indian preference will be exercised in the hiring of this position consistent with the Tribe’s Personnel Policies and Procedures Manual.
The candidate must successfully pass a criminal history background check.