Squaxin Island Child Development Center
April 30, 2021
May 17, 2021
The Squaxin Island Child Development Center Lead Teacher, will provide classroom instruction in a supportive and nurturing environment that provides optimal social, emotional, and intellectual development and kindergarten readiness for children
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES IN ACCORDANCE WITH PROGRAM STANDARDS:
- Plan, supervise and implement programs for a specific age group of young children.
- Provide an integrated, developmentally appropriate curriculum that meets the developmental needs of the specific group and individual child.
- Assist children with self-help and social, emotional skills.
- Utilize and promote positive guidance techniques.
- Assess children’s needs and developmental progress on an ongoing basis and apply to curriculum.
- Promote a climate of respect for each child’s personality, culture, language, family structure and developmental needs and behaviors.
- Model and provide direction and guidance for the classroom team (i.e., assistant teacher, aides, and volunteers)
- Facilitate positive and productive relationships with families.
- Maintain daily, weekly, and monthly records with regards to attendance, communication with families, curriculum, health, and nutrition in electronic data bases.
- Adhere to all safety and health guidelines.
- Participates in ongoing professional development, including coursework, staff meetings, parent meetings and TSG reliablility.
- Always maintains confidentiality regarding children, families, and staff.
- Positively project the center, mission, goals, philosophies and policies to parents, staff, and the community.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE IN ACCORDANCE WITH PROGRAM STANDARDS:
- Must be 18 years old
- Have an AA degree in Early Childhood or a related field and two years’ experience working with young children in a learning environment.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Can effectively speak with parents about their child’s development and to write correspondences to families.
- Can read and interpret documents such as curriculum materials, assessments, safety rules and procedure manuals
- Have basic computer skills, ability to collect, enter and use data bases to track, monitor and report child development
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, geometry and proportions to practical situations.
- Experience with observations, curriculum development and assessment of young children.
- Complete all pre-employment requirements:
- TB Test
- First Aid/CPR including Child and Infant
- Background Check
- Fingerprint Clearance
- Food Handler Permit within 30 days of hire
- DCYF Orientation Training within 30 days of hire
Employee will regularly be exposed to chemicals that may appear in cleaning solutions and/or arts and crafts activities. The employee will be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level range in the work environment is quiet to noisy.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS IN ACCORDANCE WITH PROGRAM STANDARDS:
The physical demands of a Lead Teacher are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. This may include, lifting, carrying, holding, bending, stooping, stretching, pushing, pulling, squatting, kneeling, reaching, or moving children with a weight range of 10-50 pounds. A lead teacher is also expected to immediately and appropriately respond to multiple or unexpected situations or emergencies. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
DRUG FREE WORK ENVIRONMENT IN ACCORDANCE WITH PROGRAM STANDARDS:
The work environment respects the dignity, worth, and uniqueness of each member. The work environment is a drug free workplace, candidates will be required to have a urinalysis for drug and alcohol screening.
INDIAN PREFERENCE IN ACCORDANCE WITH PROGRAM STANDARDS: Indian preference will be exercised in the hiring process of this position.