The General Council meeting scheduled for June 27th has been cancelled. Elections will be done via mail-in ballots.
Tribal Council Candidates
General Council Elections
The General Council meeting is cancelled due to the continued and growing risk to our community’s health and well being. However, the General Council elections are continuing with mail-in ballots. This elections procedure is new and unprecedented in our history. We are moving in this direction in a format that is most agreeable to the Tribe’s Electoral Code and Constitution.
- Nominations for candidates will be done via the Candidate Nomination Form.
- Responses from the candidates will be done via the Candidate Response Form and a submitted video by the candidates of 3 minutes or less.
- The Elections Committee will validate the eligibility of nominated candidates based on requirements in the Constitution. Specifically, the committee will look at whether a candidate is an enrolled tribal member of 18 years or older, has domiciled (lived) within 50 miles of Squaxin Island in the last year, and is only running for one position in the current election.
- When the candidates list is finalized, it will be announced and posted here.
- Ballots will be mailed out with a clearly marked election date. Completed ballots will be picked up from the tribe’s box at the post office on that date.
- Candidate representatives, law enforcement, and the Elections Committee will supervise the ballot counting by the Elections Consultant.
Some of the the frequently asked questions about elections can be found on our Elections FAQ Page.
The Elections Consultant will be managing the Ballots (distribution and counting) in order to ensure a non-biased and anonymous election. Our Elections Consultant is MKElections, a expert in Election Administration who has done elections for the Squaxin Island Tribe for many years as well as many other organizations and tribes including Klamath , Samish and Suquamish Tribes. More information about MKElections can be found on their website here .
For questions or concerns about this process please contact us at .
If you are interested in reading our Constitution, it can be found here.
Note that this publication is outdated. The meeting has been cancelled. Please allow it a moment to load.